An easy to make, healthy and tasty recipe. With typical moong bean taste is savory and sour much similar to that of idlis. A perfect partner for morning and evening tea giving a nutritive boost to your diet.
- Rinse 1 cup whole moong beans with water a couple of times.
- Soak the beans overnight for 6-7 hours in ample of water
- Later drain all the water. Add the moong beans in a grinder jar along with 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (chopped) and ½ cup water.
- Grind to a semi coarse paste. don’t make the paste too fine, let it be a little grainy. The batter should not be too thick nor thin but like a dhokla batter. Remove the batter in a mixing bowl or vessel.
- Meanwhile in a large pan heat about 2 to 2.5 cups water and let it come to a boil.
- Grease a pan with some oil. Add 1 tablespoon ginger-green chili paste to the batter, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and salt as required.
- Mix very well and then add 1 teaspoon fruit salt or Eno to the dhokla mixture.
- Immediately pour this dhokla mixture in the greased pan.
- Keep a metal stand in the pan with boiling water.
- Place the pan in the large pan where the water must have already started boiling by now. Ensure the water level is below the pan else water might enter the batter.
- Cover the pan and steam for 12 to 15 minutes on medium flame till the dhokla is done. Check with toothpick and there should be no sticky batter on the toothpick.
- Let the moong dal dhokla become warm. Then remove from the pan.
- In a small pan, heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them splutter
- Then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and brown them.
- Add 1 pinch asafoetida (hing), 1 sprig curry leaves and 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seeds.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the tempering. Mix well and let the water come to a boil. Be careful when adding water.
- When the water comes to a boil, then pour this tempering mixture over the steamed moong dal dhokla. Garnish with ¼ cup coriander leaves (finely chopped) and ¼ cup grated coconut (optional).